Benefits to receiving the Summer CSA
When you become a Summer CSA member, you will receive weekly distributions of fresh, nutritious produce for 18 weeks beginning the week of May 26-June 1 and ending the week of September 22-28.
You will receive weekly newsletters, which list produce, recipes, and other farm information, will be available too.
As part of the Summer CSA you are invited to participate in you-pick opportunities for berries, flowers, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, beans, and other produce which members may want to buy in bulk and/or preserve. Learn about farm events, family hikes, kid days, cooking classes, and volunteer days by checking out our website calendar. Early registration to our CSA program is encouraged for purchasing seeds, farm supplies, and repairing equipment, but ALL payments are due before the season starts in June, which also helps us formulate our farm plan and financial commitment to our upcoming farm crew. Please let us know if there are any questions.
Weekly Sample Shares
What you can expect in your Summer CSA Share?
If you are new to Tantre Farm CSA’s or you have not signed up recently, you will need to create a new account on our CSAWare manager. Instructions are available to help you: How to create a CSAware account. Instructions to sign up for a split share: Signing up for a split share.
SUMMER CSA SHARE:
You will receive your produce each week in a 3/4 bushel box that will have been stored in a cooler as soon as it is packed in the mornings on Packing Days (Tuesdays and Fridays). As the season progresses there may some extra items on the side, because they don’t fit in the box, or they were harvested after the box was put together, or they don’t need refrigeration. You will be measuring or loading these items into bags yourself, so you can choose to take the maximum or less, if your family can’t use so much.
You will receive 8-10 items in your share during the first few weeks depending on what is seasonally available. You’ll continue to receive more items as the season progresses, ranging from 8 to 16 items. Each week our goal is to provide 1 to 4 salad greens (lettuce, arugula, etc.), 1 to 4 cooking greens (collards, Swiss chard, kale, etc.), 1 to 4 root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, etc.), 1 to 4 fruiting vegetables (tomatoes, corn, squash, green beans etc.), 1 or 2 alliums (onions, garlic, etc.), 1 to 3 brassicas (broccoli/cabbage family), and 1 or 2 herbs (basil, parsley, etc.).
Keep in mind, that being part of a CSA means sharing in the risks and bounties of farming. If we suffer crop failure due to weather or insects, then there may be less of some items. If it’s a bumper year, then there may be more.
Also, we don’t intentionally put worms or insects in your produce. Sometimes though these evasive creatures may slip by our volunteer’s or intern’s discerning eye. Please don´t throw the produce away! There are many good parts to an ear of corn, even if you have to break off the tip to remove a corn earworm. You may need to soak something like broccoli in salt water to encourage the caterpillars to float to the top, and remove them. Cut off offensive parts, if needed, and keep in mind this produce has been completely grown with organic practices, since we don’t use chemical pesticides. It is still edible, tasty, and nutritious even if sometimes it is not aesthetically appealing.
How do I Sign Up? Just Follow These 5 Steps
- Select your Share: Either pay with full payment as “WHOLE SEASON OR SPLIT” or choose the “PAYMENT PLAN” (no split shares) option.
- WHOLE SEASON (Full payment only), so for a Single Buyer with a Full Payment, which works with PayPal (credit card), but also for Checks, Cash, and Venmo. The traditional idea of a CSA is to provide the farmer with the full payment upfront to help us with much needed supplies and repairs at this time of year. Therefore, this year we are really emphasizing that payments are finalized completely BEFORE the season starts the week of May 26.
- SPLIT (Full payment only, split between share partners), so this is for those of you with share partners. You “split the share payment” with a share partner into a combined Full Payment, especially if you are using a credit card through PayPal. Of course, you still may check out with a Check (or Venmo) payment at the end, but you must pay your half of the full amount, so each of your totals would be $337.50. Then you each have a separate payment account, but you are still connected to the same Summer CSA share. The reason for this split is because as other Tantre CSA options open at the same time (such as Immune Booster, Fall, or Thanksgiving CSA’s), then you are able to sign up separately for your own preferred CSA programs without necessarily having your Summer share partner connected with the other CSA’s. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP WITH SEPARATE REGISTRATIONS! Your share partner’s account needs to be connected with an email invitation through a link. See below for explanation.
How to split a share-CSAware-instructions
1. Member #1 selects the “Split” option, and #1 will enter Member #2’s e-mail address, so #2 can be immediately invited through email to claim the split share and make their half of the payment.
2. You will need Member #2’s e-mail address to use this payment option before #1 begins registration, so that #1 can finish their half of the registration and half of the payment.
3. Then Member #2 will log in and continue with their registration and payment for their half. IMPORTANT: Without Member #2 completing the sign up and payment choice through the email link, the entire share is “pending”. Read below under SHARE PARTNERS about the options in more detail if you are splitting a share.
- PAYMENT PLANS (Installments of 4, 3, or 2 payments): This year you will once again have the option to pay in smaller amounts with either 4 payment, 3 payment or 2 payment options, but you may pick which payment system works best for your finances right away instead of waiting until the appropriate month. Unfortunately our online platform does NOT work with PayPal/credit card payments, so installments are available ONLY for Check, Cash, or Venmo payers. This is set up for single buyers only or you can sign up with a share partner, as long as your share partner is considered a “piggybacker” (See below under Share Partners for explanation of “piggybacker”.), so you will both be submitting payments through Member #1’s name, but you won’t both have individual accounts. Sometimes Member #1 just pays for the whole share with this arrangement, and Member #2 pays them back.
*Once you register, you will receive dates of when your installments are due for the next few months, so please mark your calendar or set reminders on your mobile device based on your chosen installment plan, so we don’t have to keep reminding you.
Beginning February 1, the payment plan will allow you to choose 4 payments for $168.75 or any of the other payment options below.
Beginning March 1, the payment plan will only allow you to make 3 payments of $225 at this time, so the 4 payments option is shut off.
Beginning April 1, the payment plan will allow you to make 2 payments of $337.50 at this time, so the 4 and 3 payment options are shut off.
Beginning May 1, all payments must be for the full amount of $675.
- Select your Drop Site: See website for options below or view them when they appear during registration. There are 13 drop site options. One of the sites that is new is specific for City of AA Employees- Wed AA Farmers Market. As you see it is still at the Kerrytown AA Farmers Market, but I believe if you are a City of AA employee, you will receive some kind of “wellness credit” for signing up this way. You will need to check into that further with your employer or the Ann Arbor Farmers Market Manager. We are just supplying the location as an option.
- Create your Login: You will use this later to access your Member Dashboard for all kinds of options including scheduling vacations, checking your balance and your order history, etc.
- Enter your Contact Information: Include your email address, your phone number, and your mailing address. If you are adding a share partner, they should include an email address AND a phone number.
- Select Payment Option: If you choose Whole Season/Split with full payment then you opt for the By PayPal button or By Check button. (Note: PayPal adds a surcharge.) If you have selected the Payment Plan, you will need to choose By Check ONLY (no PayPal option!), so please start your first payment within the first week of your sign up, and please pay with check, cash, or Venmo.
- How to Purchase Additional Shares: Members can only put one share at a time in a cart. To purchase additional subscriptions of the same share you need to log out, come back, and respond OK to the question: “You already have one of these subscriptions; are you sure you want to purchase another one?” Then you answer “Yes” and add another CSA box to your shopping cart.
1. Credit card payments with PAYPAL (online transaction with a PayPal fee)–If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can still use your credit card as a guest. Make a credit card payment without a Paypal account. This also helps streamline some very time-consuming data entry for our staff. If you are ordering a split share, Member #1 can pay with PayPal and Member #2 payment will be automatically created as if to be paid by check. However, once the share is claimed by Member #2, after they have created a login through the Member Dashboard, they will have the option to pay their balance due via PayPal (with the surcharge) OR with Check, Venmo, or Cash.
NOTE: We have found that signing up through your computer with PayPal seems to have less glitches for some members than using mobile devices.
2. Check payments (no online fee)— If you would like to use the BY CHECK option, you will receive a Confirmation/Invoice email after sign up. Then you can send a check written out to TANTRE FARM within 7 days. Please be sure to get your check in the mail as soon as possible, so we do not have to keep sending Payment Requests, which take extra time and effort on a busy farm. If you are writing the check, and your name is not listed on the share sign up (especially if you have a different last name than your spouse), please write your Primary Contact’s name in the memo.
3. CASH payments (no additional fees) –If you are paying with CASH, please bring it to the Ann Arbor Saturday Farmers Market or Tantre Farm in a LABELED ENVELOPE with your email invoice inside. Let us know well in advance, if this is your intention so we can watch for it. Please check out with the By Check option for this, and then instead of sending checks, just arrange for Cash payments as soon as possible.
4. VENMO (no additional fees)– We have the Venmo app, so for those of you with that app, please send payments to @Deb-Lentz. Please make sure that you write SUMMER CSA and the Primary Contact’s name in the memo area, especially if being paid by someone else. Some folks need the last four digits of the cell number to send for the first time, so that is 6748. Please check out with the By Check option for this, and then instead of sending checks, you make the Venmo payment immediately.
5. INSTALLMENTS (no additional fees) —You may pay the full amount off in smaller amounts throughout the coming months starting with CHECK, CASH, or VENMO, but please plan on having all payments finalized by the start of the Summer CSA by the deadline of May 26. Automated Check Payments sent to us in the mail work very well, so we don’t need to send out Payment Request Reminders for those of you who might be busy or forgetful. Other members send us Postdated Checks for the 1st of every month all at once, so that they don’t have to remember to keep sending checks each month. Please put reminders in your calendar or on your smartphone, so we don’t have to chase down payments by due dates.
Distribution – How It Works
You will pick up your share once a week for 18 weeks on your chosen pick up day during the hours that are listed below. Basically there are two Distribution Harvests during the week. For the first distribution we harvest produce on Mondays and Tuesdays for the Wednesday Distribution. Then we harvest for the second distribution on Thursdays and Fridays for the Friday/Saturday Distribution. Our Packing Days (when we pack up your share box) are on Tuesdays and Fridays.
When and where you can pick up your Summer CSA share:
At each of the Distribution Sites, there will be a Tantré Farm worker or a volunteer to remind you of Pick-Up procedures and a clipboard with a Pickup List to be checked off. You may unpack your box into your own carry containers or you may return the box the following week. Please ask for help if you need help loading your vehicle. Here is a general overview of each site:
Ann Arbor Farmers´ Market (LOCATION–315 Detroit Street, Ann Arbor
We will try to be in the same location every week at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market (www.a2farmersmarket.org) on the 4th Ave. curb, but are not always able. There is a map on the outside wall of the market office, where our stall is listed. Please always look for the Tantré Farm sign as you walk around the market. Ask Tantre market staff for help and they will check your name off and give you instructions. Please ask for help if any questions. It can get very crowded at the market, so for those of you who split shares, it might work better if you split your share at one of your houses, instead of at the stall where a lot of people are coming and going.
Advantages for pick up at Ann Arbor Farmers Market: You can buy extra items from our stall and other vendors’ stalls and enjoy exploring the variety of Kerrytown stores and restaurants in downtown Ann Arbor.
DISTRIBUTION at Ann Arbor Farmers Market: Wednesdays and Saturdays 7 AM until Noon (Staff or Volunteer will check members off.)
Chelsea Farmers’ Market (LOCATION: 304 South Main St. at Palmer Commons next to the old Palmer Auto lot on the west side of M-52)
At the Chelsea Farmers Market (www.chelseafarmersmkt.org) just look for the Tantré Farm sign. Introduce yourself to us at the market stall, and you will be helped. Please remember to check off your name on the Pick up List, and let us know if you have any questions.
Advantages for pick up at Chelsea Farmers Market: You can buy extra items from our stall and other vendors’ stalls along with enjoying local live musicians, food demos, vendor basket giveaways, and other market events.
DISTRIBUTION at Chelsea: Sat. 8 AM until Noon. (Staff will check members off.)
Tantré Farm (LOCATION–2510 Hayes Rd., Chelsea)
Please park on the North side of Hayes Road or in the driveway for those who have a physical disability. Go behind Main House to the “Distribution Shed” in the backyard. Tantre staff will check off your contact person’s name on the Pick Up List, then follow the instructions on the white boards inside the shed, and get your share box from the walk-in cooler to the left of the shed. Please ask for help if you need help loading your vehicle.
Advantages for pick up at the farm: Walking paths around the fields, visiting the animals, playing, exploring, and picnicking, free u-pick flower bouquets, u-pick opportunities for other produce, extra produce in Grab Box, free-range eggs, and sometimes honey or other extra items for sale.
DISTRIBUTION for Farm: Wed. 10 AM-7 PM and Fri. 2 PM-7 PM (Tantre staff will check members off and some self serve checking)
Washtenaw Food Hub (LOCATION–4175 Whitmore Lake Rd., Ann Arbor)
This location is about 8 minutes directly north of downtown Ann Arbor. There are many buildings at this site, so look for the one that has the “sun window” on the building. Wednesday and Saturday distributions are right on the front porch with shares in a reach-in cooler or on a table outside of the cooler. A volunteer will check off your name on the clipboard and give you instructions. There will usually be someone there to help you, but please let us know if you have any questions. On Saturdays please let us know that you are here for which CSA program, since we have two types of CSA’s being picked up at the same time. You may unpack your box into your own carry containers or you may return the box the following week.
Advantages for pick up at the Hub: curbside pick up, plenty of free parking, picnicking areas, and food artisan/farm market items for sale. The Washtenaw Food Hub Market will be open during every pick up distribution.
DISTRIBUTION for Hub: Wed. 6 -8 PM (Volunteer will check members off) and Sat. 9 AM – Noon (Tantre staff will check members off).
MOVE Fitness and Wellness Studio (LOCATION–3780 Jackson Road, Suite K, Ann Arbor)
MOVE (www.movewellness.com) is the trusted, local resource for Pilates and Gyrotonic offering in person private sessions and small group classes; livestream classes and on demand programs. Get as strong as you want to live a life you love at home or in our studio. Tantre shares will be outside the building near the front door on the north side of the building. We will have a volunteer there to assist you. MOVE staff can only answer limited questions. There is no refrigeration, so please pick shares up promptly to enjoy your produce at its freshest! MOVE is not responsible for shares left unclaimed, so shares left there after noon will be donated or brought back to the farm, unless prior arrangements have been made.
Advantages for pick up at MOVE: Tantre members can get $5 off an Intro Session (one on one to help you build a fitness plan or support your injuries) OR your first small group reformer class! Just show the staff your name on the distribution list when you pick up your shares to register.
DISTRIBUTION at MOVE Wellness: Wed. 8 AM until 9:30 AM (Volunteer will check members off.)
Pure Pastures (*NEW LOCATION-1102 Ann Arbor ROAD, Plymouth)
**The Plymouth store has moved to a new building just a few hundred yards away (behind Lee’s Chicken). Pure Pastures (www.purepasturesmi.com) is a specialty grocery store in Plymouth that offers grass-fed meat, eggs, dairy products, and organic, gluten-free, non GMO products. The shares will be located under the little awning in the front of the store. A volunteer will check off your name on the clipboard and give you instructions. We know that many of you know that you can pick up your share earlier than 9 AM, since they usually have already been dropped off early in the morning. It might be wise to come at the scheduled time for the first time, so you know what the protocol is, since this is a new location. Pure Pastures staff can answer limited questions. Shares will not be refrigerated, so please pick up shares promptly (especially on hot days!) to enjoy your produce at its freshest. Pure Pastures is not responsible for shares left unclaimed, unless prior arrangements have been made.
Advantages for pick up at Pure Pastures: There are opportunities for extra purchases from “a healthy alternative to the big chain supermarkets”.
DISTRIBUTION at Pure Pastures: Wed. 9 AM until 11 AM (Volunteer will check members off and answer questions.)
Argus Farm Stop-Packard (LOCATION-1226 Packard, Ann Arbor)
Argus Farm Stop (www.argusfarmstop.com) is a year-round, every day farmers market featuring over 100 local producers in all categories including produce, meat, eggs, dairy. Every purchase you make supports local farms and producers! Your order will be ready for PICKUP between 12 pm-3 pm Saturday. Please come down and park at 1226 PACKARD STREET and ask for your order at the checkout counter. You may unpack your box into your own carry containers or you may return the box the following week. Please ask for help if you need help loading your vehicle. Argus is not responsible for shares left unclaimed, so shares left there after 3:00 pm will be donated or brought back to the farm, unless prior arrangements have been made.
Advantages for pick up at ARGUS: You have opportunities to additionally purchase a wide array of local products to complete your local shopping experience. If you want to add some additional fruits, veggies, meats, coffee, bread, milk or cookies to your Tantre order, then just order from Argus before Friday at noon, and they will pack your order and have it ready for you to pick up at the same time as your CSA box on Saturday. How cool is that!? Simply go to: ARGUS WEBSITE to view their online store and order from other local producers! Any questions, please feel free to call them at 734-997-5448.
DISTRIBUTION at Argus -1226 Packard: Sat. 9 AM until 3 PM (Argus Staff will check members off.)
RoosRoast Coffee-Rosewood (LOCATION-1155 Rosewood St, Ann Arbor)
RoosRoast Coffee (https://www.roosroast.com) is a year-round, funky coffee shop in Ann Arbor creating an atmosphere among employees and customers centered on quality coffee. It comes in from all over the world, and John Roos roasts it in a back shop where he’s also putting together orders, making silkscreen art for coffee bags and embracing a “let’s give it a try” philosophy. Shares will be outside the building on the front Rosewood Lawn by the mail box. Pull up to the curb and please stay in your car until a volunteer checks you off. You may unpack your box into your own carry containers or you may return the box the following week. Please ask for help if you need help loading your vehicle. Please wear a mask and gloves, as we will be. RoosRoast is not responsible for shares left unclaimed, so please contact Deb at 734-385-6748, if alternate last minute pick up arrangements need to be made.
Advantages for pick up at ROOSROAST: You have opportunities to additionally purchase a wide array of coffee and tea products to complete your local shopping experience. As well, there’s great people and good vibes!
DISTRIBUTION at RoosRoast : Sat. 9 AM until 11 AM (Volunteer will check members off.)
Honey Bee U-Pick (LOCATION–5700 Scio Church Road, Ann Arbor)
Honey Bee U-pick is a seasonal, u-pick farm on the southwest side of Ann Arbor. We offered strawberry and raspberry u-pick last year and plan to continue offering u-pick again this year with possibilities of u-pick asparagus and pumpkins. This ancestral farm is part of a land preservation plan, so home to a variety of local wildlife and plants making it a destination for families and individuals alike. Just go to the timber frame barn and our staff will get you your share. If you can’t make it to the site at the last minute for some reason, please text or call Deb at 734-385-6748, so we don’t have to track you down.
Advantages for pick up at Honey Bee U-Pick: u-pick opportunities available from May until October, especially good for members when u-pick produce are included in your share, plenty of free parking.
DISTRIBUTION at Honey Bee: Saturday 8 AM – 12 PM (Tantre staff will check members off)